Language fascinates me… How we put together sounds, represented by squiggly lines, sticks and hoops to form letters. In the perfect order, the letters form words… again, ordered to convey ideas, knowledge, wisdom that ignites our imaginations and move us to the core.
These are some of my favorite uncommon compositions of words…
- “The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “In the end, just three things matter: How well we have lived. How well we have loved. How well we have learned to let go” ~Jack Kornfield
- “Looking at beauty in the world, is the first step of purifying the mind.”
- “When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you”
- “Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be.”
- “Don’t wait to be successful at some future point. Have a successful relationship with the present moment and be fully present in whatever you are doing. That is success.”
It was Eckhart Tolle that changed my life. I stumbled upon his words accidentally during a difficult tragedy. You see, this is one of the reasons I’m fascinated with the impact words and letters have. He helped me (unknowingly of course) understand that the past and the future do not exist. The past may have existed, and the future will one day (or in one minute) exist. But all we know, all there ever is, was, and will be… is the present. Therefore, the only place the past and future exist, is in our thoughts. If I could control my thoughts, I should be able to control my past and future… if not in substance, in significance. I had forg0tten the present, ignored the only thing that exists… and in sense, gave up my own existence. I was here in body, but not in mind. My suffering came from my past, and my fear… was of what my future would hold. My awakening to the present moment was like being born for the first time. The mist lifted and my mind was clear… for everything there was, was now… and I had everything I could possibly need.
This is the power of words. From my eyes to my mind, I was moved, inspired and my life changed forever.
How could it be? Simple shapes on a page ordered in such a way that the story I call my life would never be the same? That the way I perceived others was on a much deeper level?
So I began to write myself. At first a little, then a lot, until I fell in love with it. I don’t remember the exact moment when it hit me, but as I watched myself put those squigglies, sticks and hoops on the page I realized… they are not just letters. They are not just words, and they are not just sentences. They are my ideas, my passions, my hopes, dreams, and my fears. The letters were simply a tool… a creation to share… well, to share our creations. They are the bond that joins our thoughts across time and distance… Through these words, you will know me, you will sense my presence, even though you are weeks, months or many years in my non-existent future, and in a place I do not know.